The University of Minnesota will establish a National Resource Center (NRC) for Refugees, Immigrants, and Migrants (RIM). The NRC is trying to collect, develop and disseminate best practices, health communications / health education, training, and other resources for state and local health departments, community-based organizations, and health systems.
Purpose of Videos
The NRC-RIM is invested in a community-focused approach where voices from the community will be featured throughout the project. We are looking to collect video “testimonials” from 1) members of RIM communities who have been directly impacted by COVID and 2) healthcare providers, including providers who are RIM community members themselves, who cared for RIM community members while ill with COVID, or 3) people who can speak to the impact on their families/communities from personal experience. These videos will take a community-based perspective using a story-telling approach with multiple goals:
- Resonate with RIM communities by featuring fellow community members
- Highlight the impact of COVID on RIM communities
- Identify stories of resilience among RIM communities
Ideally, these videos will feature community members speaking in their preferred language with English subtitles (if English is not their preferred language). The footage will be used to create a series of five brief (1-2 minute) videos that will be made available on the NRC-RIM website. The intention is that the videos will be easily shareable, including via messaging platforms such as WhatsApp. The editing / branding of the videos will be guided by the UMN communications lead.
- Healthcare providers, ideally from RIM communities and/or bilingual who cared for patients from RIM communities who were very ill or did not survive.
- Community members who were directly impacted by COVID, including:
- A community member who was very ill and recovered
- A community member whose close family member was very ill and recovered (e.g. spouse, parent, child, sibling)
- A community member whose close family member was sick and did not survive
Potential (examples) Interview Questions / Talking Points
- Tell us about yourself and the patients that you see
- How has COVID impacted your patients from RIM communities?
- Can you share a memorable story about a RIM family impacted by COVID?
- Can you share an example of strength and resilience among RIM communities impacted by COVID?
- Tell us about yourself
- Tell us about your personal experience with COVID
- What has the impact of COVID been on you?
- What has the impact of COVID been on your family?
- What was the most difficult part of your experience with COVID?
- Where did you find strength and support during your experience with COVID?
- Other setting relevant to interviewee (e.g. agricultural setting for farmworkers)