▪ Minnesotan Imams say you can get your COVID-19 vaccine while you are fasting. It does not have any nutritional value, therefore it will not invalidate or break the fasting.
▪ The COVID-19 vaccines do not contain pork products, gelatin, animal products, or the live COVID-19 virus.
▪ When you get your COVID-19 vaccine, you may experience side effects such as pain where you got the shot, feeling achy or tired, or having a headache. Some people may have chills or a fever. It is also okay if you do not have side effects! Each person will have a different reaction to the vaccine and that is okay.
▪ If you experience side effects from the vaccines, you are allowed to break fast to take care of yourself. Any sick person is exempt from fasting and breaking fasting for a medical reason is permissible. You can break fasting to take care of your health.
▪ In Minnesota, many of our Imams are getting vaccinated and support vaccination. COVID-19 vaccines are safe and you are encouraged to take it.
▪ Saving a life is the most important thing, and COVID-19 vaccines will save lives. The COVID-19 vaccines are safe and effective.
Wear a mask. Wash your hands. Stay 6 feet from others. Stay home if you feel sick.
Minnesota Department of Health | health.mn.gov | 651-201-5000 625 Robert Street North PO Box 64975, St. Paul, MN 55164-0975
Contact [email protected] to request an alternate format.