If you have questions about your ability to do any stretch, consult your physician.
- Warm up by walking in place for one minute before stretching.
- Be sure the area is clear to allow space to do the stretch.
- Before each stretch, relax and stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and knees slightly bent. Keep your back straight by contracting your abdomen.
- You do not want to feel pain during a stretch. If you do, STOP.
- Stretch to the point of comfortable tension.
- Do not strain or bounce when stretching.
- Take a deep breath, count to three, exhale, and repeat each exercise on the opposite side. Repeat each stretch, or set of stretches, at least three times.
Download the “How to Stretch” flyer from the Minnesota Department of Health here!