Minnesota’s COVID-19 Vaccine Allocation Advisory Group gives the state recommendations for how to distribute the limited initial supply of COVID-19 vaccine in a way that saves the most lives and puts us on a path to ending the crisis brought on by the pandemic as quickly as possible. The groups is made up of statewide representatives of leading care providers; bioethicists; state, local, and tribal public health representatives; health care associations; and people representing diverse community groups.
How were members chosen?
- Due to the initial limited supply of COVID-19 vaccine, staff from MDH’s immunization and emergency preparedness programs came together in September 2020 to identify areas of expertise needed to determine allocation of COVID-19 vaccine in the earliest stages of vaccine distribution. They identified potential organizations that could provide input in these areas (e.g., health care personnel, long-term care facilities, ethics, and vulnerable populations). MDH leadership also provided input into the suggested list of organizations.
- MDH staff reached out to the organizations identified to recruit representatives for the advisory group and to seek input on other possible members to add. Through these combined efforts, the advisory group took shape.
How often do they meet?
- The advisory group meets as needed to review federal recommendations from CDC’s Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) and provide input for applying the guidance to Minnesota.
- MDH convenes the group after new federal recommendations have been made that need to be adapted for Minnesota, as well as any time they need to provide information to the group that may be helpful in providing recommendations.
Are the meetings public?
- At this time, the meetings are not public to provide space for candid conversations and consideration of a variety of viewpoints.
- Official group recommendations are public and are posted on the MDH website.
- Agendas and minutes from past meetings will be added to the MDH website soon.
Can I nominate/suggest someone for the advisory group?
- Additional members of the advisory group were added in December as the group moves to considering recommendations for the next phase of vaccine allocation (phase 1b).
- New members were identified based on their expertise in ethics, health equity, economics, and labor and industry.
- Members are identified by MDH staff in consultation with MDH leadership, the Governor’s office, and other advisory group members.
Can I send in feedback about advisory group recommendations?
- The advisory group has many factors to consider and address when providing recommendations. As always, the goal is to have equitable distribution of the limited COVID-19 vaccine supply in a way that has the most significant impact on health.
- Members of the public can submit written feedback to the COVID-19 Vaccine Allocation Advisory Group for their review.
- Please submit written feedback through the form on https://www.health.state.mn.us/diseases/coronavirus/vaccine/advisory.html.
Minnesota Department of Health | health.mn.gov | 651-201-5000
625 Robert Street North PO Box 64975, St. Paul, MN 55164-0975
Contact health.c[email protected] to request an alternate format.